Here's how I did it:
- I found a pair of clean, sturdy socks at a second-hand shop. I picked a pair of long socks that would stretch nicely around my neck. I used one for the rice sock and one for a tennis ball (which was another item on my birthing list to help with back labor).
- I pushed the toe end of the sock in to make a straight line. I used a sturdy zig-zag stitch to stitch across the line several times.
- I filled the sock with two bags of rice. I kind of wish I would have added more, since the sock starts to stretch out after a while and the rice spreads farther apart.
- I folded the other end in and again used a zig-zag stitch to sew across the line several times.
- I microwaved the sock for two minutes at a time about 50 times in an attempt to get the moisture and the rice smell out of it.
And that's it! When I want to heat it up, I usually put it in the microwave for 1.5 minutes. So nice!