Although little Henry traveled to more than 20 states in utero, this plane trip will be his first as a "big boy." Matt won't be going because tickets are simply too expensive and the timing is awkward.
I'm a little nervous about how it's all going to go down, but I'm excited. Here's how I plan to make the process as smooth as possible:
- I booked only non-stop flights. Since it's only a 2-hour trip from Houston to Tampa, I figured it would be easier not to change planes.
- I plan to minimize the amount of stuff I bring. I will only carry one traveler's backpack for our luggage, one diaper bag as my carry-on, and our car seat. We'll have Matt park at the airport and bring us in, so he can carry the car seat and my backpack and check them at the counter. We'll have to pay to check the bag, but the car seat is free. Then I will carry Henry in the Moby, with my diaper bag on my arm.
- I will try to ask for a pat-down to get through security, so I can leave Henry in the Moby wrap (fingers crossed!).
- To help save space in our luggage and to make the process easier, I will ask my mom to buy diapers for us, instead of using our cloth diapers.
- When we arrive in Florida, my family can carry the car seat and my luggage, while I carry Henry in the Moby and my diaper bag.
Easier said than done!
Here's what I need to pack:
- 10 outfits for Henry (we'll be gone 5 days; I can always do laundry if I need to)
- Henry's swim diaper and rash guard
- Our natural sunscreen
- Henry's hat
- A small but thick blanket for Henry to lay on when he's not being held
- Clothes for me
- My swimsuit
- My sunglasses
- Phone charger (I guess I'll leave my computer at home--hopefully I won't go into withdrawal!)
- Soap/shampoo/conditioner/face wash/razor/comb/toothbrush/toothpaste/floss
- Books to read
- Diapers and wipes for the trip
- Our portable changing pad cloth
- My breast feeding cover
- Henry's special soap
- Henry's nail clippers (yes, they will need to be cut during a 5-day span)
- Henry's birth certificate (luckily I ordered a wallet-sized one in addition to the regular one)
I'll keep adding to this list until we depart!