It's finally time for Henry to return to Montessori school (photo is from his first day of school last year). This summer has been a bit hectic (to say the least) with a new baby, two different childcare situations, three visits from family, and an impending move. Since we didn't know when our house was going to be completed (which is in northeast Austin), we set up part-time childcare up there and part-time childcare near our rental house (which is in south central Austin). He was doing three days at one and then two days at the other until the three-day option ended in mid-July and he started five days a week at the northeast option.
I am so relieved to settle back into the school year, into our new home, and into our expanded family.
Whenever big transitions occur (like the start of the school year), I like to take some time to be intentional and to think about specific things I want to accomplish or new habits I'd like to form.
To prepare for the new school year, we:
- Took Henry to get a haircut
- Removed all the stains from his clothes using this method (he doesn't need new clothes yet because it's still summer here)
- Wrote a thank-you card to the summer daycare (they still have the one we gave them last year hanging on the wall)
- Entered the dates of all school events (vacations, family meetings, holidays, etc.) into our calendars
Here are some of my intentions for the year:
- Make sure Henry gets a healthy breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack, and dinner every day--Matt is in charge of breakfast, and he doesn't worry about protein the way I do. I can make Henry a healthy breakfast in the evening, so Matt doesn't have to worry about it in the morning.
- Make time to put together thoughtful gifts for the teachers before the winter break and the end of the school year--and at least once a semester just randomly!
- Set up a lovely Montessori environment in our home that is constantly growing and changing to reflect Henry's growing and changing needs.
- Spend time each night restoring the environment and setting up two clothing options for Henry to choose from the following morning.
- Invite friends from Henry's class over for play dates.
I'm really looking forward to the new year!