One of my monthly goals was to add a new meal to our rotation. Right now, we have about 20 meals that we rotate through. Meal planning is a cinch with our Excel document. I just use the filter feature to select the five meals we want to make for the week and it automatically generates a grocery list of every ingredient organized by section of the grocery store.
Although the system works perfectly, I find that we have grown tired of our 20 staples. Time to add more!
Enter: Gluten-free Mexican Macaroni & Cheese
My step-father made it over the holiday, and it was delicious. I'm always up for mac-n-cheese, but I appreciate that this one is a little more substantive with beans.
Here are the ingredients:
- 3 C brown rice elbow macaroni
- 1 C canned black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 tomato, seeded and diced
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 1 T chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 t fresh lime juice
- 1 T unsalted butter
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 T brown rice flour
- 1.5 C 1% milk
- 6 oz. queso fresco, shredded (I used cheddar and it worked well, too)
- 1/2 C plain nonfat yogurt
- Cook pasta.
- Drain and return to pot.
- Add beans.
- In a small bowl, combine tomato, avocado, cilantro, and lime juice.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium. Saute the onion until softened, 2-3 minutes.
- Add flour and whisk constantly for 1 minute.
- Gradually add milk, whisking constantly until thickened (about 3 minutes).
- Remove from heat and add queso fresco. Stir until slightly melted (some curds will remain).
- Add yogurt and stir to combine.
- Pour over beans and noodles. Stir.
- Add to bowls and then add tomato mixture on top.
Do you have any links to simple vegetarian meals?