Spring Break! What fun!
During Spring Break, our family trekked to San Diego for five days of fun. I was born in San Diego and spent the first 12 years of my life there. I was eager to share it with my family.
We rented a small house in Mission Beach from Airbnb. We were just a block away from the beach. Although it wasn't the nicest place, it fit within our budget and had two rooms (which makes it a lot easier to put Tate to sleep). Here were some of the highlights of our trip:
- Henry loved exploring real ships at the Maritime Museum
- The San Diego Zoo Safari Park at 8am was beautiful! It was nearly empty and we got to enjoy the butterfly garden, the hot air balloon, and the tram ride.
- The Birch Aquarium was small but fun--the views were jaw-dropping.
- UCSD was super-fun around lunch time--hooray for farmer's markets!
- Torrey Pines State Reserve was breathtaking!
- The Green Acre restaurant nestled within a commercial office complex was amazing!
Our days were relaxed. Early morning wake up (thanks to two young children), morning activity, lunch, nap time, late afternoon at the beach, dinner, 6:30pm bedtime for the boys, an evening of HGTV and then a Netflix movie for Matt and me.
I just loved the concentrated time with family. These days are so precious. We've been sticking to our monthly budget, which enables us to go on these kinds of vacations. It feels like the right thing to be prioritizing at this time in our lives.
Henry reminded us to purchase an ornament to add to our Christmas tree, something we do on every family vacation. I also kept a shell that Henry gave me to add to the keepsake shadow box I'm making for his adult self!