My brain is trained to focus on outcomes. When I step back and focus on the outputs, here's what I notice about my life right now:
- I'm tired all the time.
- My clothes aren't fitting well.
- I'm having trouble mustering up motivation.
With those outputs on the table, my mind then goes to the inputs. What am I doing (or not doing) that is contributing to those outcomes?
- I'm addicted to a TV show. While a little bit of TV can help me relax, a lot of TV makes me feel lethargic, passive, de-motivated, and tired (in part because I let myself go to bed too late to fit in one more show and in part because I'm not doing anything interesting or productive if I fill up any free time I have with television).
- I'm not eating a good breakfast (or sometimes any breakfast). I'm not eating a consistently good lunch (or sometimes any lunch). And I'm not eating enough fruits and vegetables. One day, I ate nothing but donuts before dinner time. Seriously. (At least they were delicious donuts from my new favorite donut shop.)
- I'm not exercising at all. Since my back injury in May, I haven't been running and I've only gone to yoga a couple of times. I hardly ever do stretches before bed.
Geez. As I write all of this out, it is crystal clear that I am missing some of the key components of a healthy life: healthy food, healthy sleep, and healthy activity. I'm surprised I'm not feeling worse!
I write these posts every so often because I need a re-set. It's too easy to get busy and let any one (or all) of these things drop.
I need to re-commit to the healthy habits that lay a solid foundation upon which to build my life. I commit to:
- Drinking a green smoothie every morning for breakfast (plain yogurt + spinach + frozen mango + banana + ground flax seed)
- Going to a yoga class once a week
- Stretching each night before bed
- Starting physical therapy for my back (and then getting back into the habit of running)
- Turning the light out by 10pm every night--no excuses
- Bringing fruit to work for a morning snack
- Getting back into the habit of having a salad with dinner
- Ordering a new work bag so I can comfortably fit my water bottle, snacks, etc.
- Take vitamins every day.
- Leaving work on time each day so I can have more time to prepare my lunch for the next day in the evening
- I hate making smoothies every morning. I need to find a way to make them in advance. I might try this method. I can definitely make a big batch on the weekend and freeze it for the week.
- I just need to make myself go to yoga class. That's all there is to it! I feel like my boys need me during the bedtime routine to feel like their lives are safe and complete. Maybe if I commit to leaving work on time every day, that extra time might help me feel like I am filling their buckets.
- I also just need to make myself stretch. It's not rocket science. I am going to ask Matt to help me recommit to this one (and all of these!).
- I added "Call the doctor" to my action plan for Monday.
- Talk to Matt about the new 10pm rule. I think he'll be on board.
- I need to get a lunch box. I like this one. I will also need to get everything ready the day before.
- Making salads won't be hard. Now that we aren't swimming every day anymore, I have a little more time to make dinner.
- Done! I just ordered a new work bag.
- I'll take my vitamins when Matt takes his.