February is here!
Thank you for a great month, January.
The stats around New Year's resolutions are pretty depressing. I think it's something like 80% of resolutions fail. And yet resolutions are our chance to declare an intention for our lives and then to make it happen. How depressing to think that only 2 out of 10 intentions for ourselves come true!
One of my tricks for setting an intention and making it happen is this kind of thing right here. This monthly post forces me to come back to what I said I wanted this year and to check in with myself. Sometimes I get to celebrate what I've been doing. More often than not I have to recommit to what I want to happen. And sometimes I have to change what I said I wanted.
Let me check in with myself:
- Start the year with the 21-day cleanse from Clean and work through a book about breaking the emotional eating habit. Yes! My mom and I did this together, and I am so proud of myself.
- Eat more salads with dinner. Yes, I've been doing this!
- Drink at least 80 ounces of water each day. Yep.
- Run once on the weekend and once during the week. Yes! It's been really tough to fit this in every week, but I'm pushing myself to do it.
- Go to yoga once a week. Yes! I have gone once each week!
- Do 15 minutes of strength building once a week (either MommaStrong or my back exercises). No, I have not been doing this. This is one of those intentions that I want to eliminate rather than berate myself each month. Doing three different exercise activities a week is enough.
- Cultivate a daily meditation and gratitude practice. Half and half. I've meditated about half of the nights. I've been forgetting to practice gratitude. I want to be sure to do this. I need to start doing it at the dinner table again.
- Publish five books. I haven't started this at all!
- Clean and organize our house before the boys go to bed each night. Kind of!
- Track our expenses in Mint.com daily so that we are able to hit our saving goals. Kind of!
- Invite friends over monthly. We didn't do it in January. But we did go over to a friends' house. I guess I'll just have to count that....
- Use my work time in the evening to clear out my inbox and do bigger-picture planning. Try to move all projects into slots during the work day. Hmmm...I have gotten better about scheduling projects to work on during the day.
- Take a trip with Matt. Still trying to figure out childcare for this one...
- Go on a retreat by myself. Not for a while!
- Reflect each month about how I'm doing toward these goals. Here I am!
2016 Family Goals
- Take a road trip to Oklahoma: Yes!
- Take a road trip to Dallas to see Kyla: Not yet.
- Read three chapter books: We've finished two!
- Read all the BOB books: Working on it....
- Go camping: Planned for March
- Take more day trips to small Texas towns: Not yet.
- Hang out at the creek in the summer: Too cold!
Goals for This Month
- Keep up with the salad, running, yoga, and water.
- Work on my daily gratitude and meditation.
- Find a graphic designer to design the cover of our first book.
- Plan my birthday celebration.
- Plan Henry's birthday celebration.